Random & Incoherent
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
 
From as far back as I can remember, I've always had a fascination with sharpened bladed instruments. I can't necessarily recall all of the knives I've ever had, or even tell you which was my very first, but I can tell you what re-sparked my interest. And let's keep in mind that I'm not overly analytical about knives either. I couldn't say which type of steel is better than another, which type of handles provide for better grip and traction, or which type of locking mechanism is the best. I can, however, relay from a layman's perspective, what I think.


I had been carrying around a Gerber LST for the last 10+ years, and I'd love to say that I picked it out all shiny and new in the store and took it home to make it mine, but that would be a lie. The truth is that I found it beneath my couch cushions the morning after some rambunctious college party. So let me apologize to whoever left it there and also say thanks for providing me with decent knife to carry around for quite some time.










(pictures are of my actual knife, description is from website where you can purchase your own)


Gerber L.S.T. 6009 (Light, Strong, Tough) Lockback Pocket Knife

Just as the name implies the Gerber L.S.T. is made to stand hard use under tough conditions. The Gerber L.S.T. 6009 is 3 1/2'' closed and features a black, lightweight, fiberglass filled nylon handle with checkered grip and lanyard hole. The knife is fitted with a stainless steel drop point blade. Retail cost for this piece is $25.95. Gets yours here at our low discount price of only $16.95.


http://www.foxqualityknives.com/gerber-6009-lst-lockback-knife



Unfortunately, as time goes by and things get used on a regular basis, they start to wear and show their age. Such was the case with the Gerber. I was beginning to notice some side-to-side wobble, as well as some front-to-back wobble when in the open, locked position. This was a sure sign that it was about time to find a replacement.


Now keep in mind that this was no easy decision. I was about to replace something that had traveled with me for the past 10 years or so, this was a true EDC knife.

Everyday Carry, or EDC, generally refers to small items or gadgets worn, carried, or made available in pockets, holsters, or bags on a daily basis to manage common tasks or for use in unexpected situations or emergencies. In a broader sense, it is a lifestyle, discipline, or philosophy of preparedness.


http://everyday-carry.com/


Some of the things that this Gerber helped me with on a regular basis are as follows: opening mail, breaking down boxes, prying open windows, scraping burrito left-overs out of my teeth, trimming the cuticles on my fingernails, slicing limes for the occasional cerveza, assisting in opening the occasional “stuck” locked door, slicing a steak, cutting open those oh-so difficultly packaged kid's toys, (among other things I can't remember), and every so often to whittle.


And once, a very long time ago, I was able to utilize the knife in a self-defense mode, taking the eye of a pirate that was attempting to ransack the village.


So anyway, it was time to upgrade and I really didn't know where to go. I had been out of the game for far to long. Like I said, I didn't know about the intricacies of the knife world, I only knew what I liked. Sharp Steel, cool design, easily whisked away to the inside of a pocket. I knew nothing of quality or craftsmanship.


That's where Whitt steps in. He had been collecting for quite some time and was (and still is) in my opinion, a knife nerd. He knows more about the strength and quality of certain types of steel than anyone I know. I became Anakin to his Obi-Wan, but really still haven't learned all that much. Like I said, I don't really concern myself with the details, just what works and looks cool.


So, enter the new knife, the Boker Trance. Able to accomplish all of the previous knife's work, but in a sleek new form. A bit thinner than my previous blade, different locking mechanism, larger blade, way sharper, and easy one-handed opening. And the price point is what really sold my on it. Ordered online and shipped for just about $30. Can't really beat that.








(pictures are of my actual knife, description is from website where you can purchase your own)

Boker Knives: Boker Trance Knife, BK-BO590

The illustrated Boker Knife is the Boker Trance Knife, designed by Chad Los Banos, that features a 2 3/4" drop point blade made of AUS8 stainless steel. The blade of this Boker knife has a non reflective finish, a notched thumb rest, dual thumb studs and a blade flipper for ambidextrous one hand opening. The stainless steel handle, 3 1/2" closed, has a single black fiberglass reinforced nylon scale, a frame lock and a lanyard hole. An end to end reversible metal pocket clip is included with this Boker knife. The Boker Trance Knife has an overall open length of 6 1/4" and weighs 3.2 ounces.


http://www.knivesplus.com/bokerknifebk-bo590.html



The Boker Trance was thinner in width than the Gerber, had a longer and sharper blade, was a frame lock instead of a lock-back design, and had a clip to keep it in place and make it more easily accessible as opposed to the Gerber which just sat at the bottom of my pocket.


I've been carrying the Boker Trance for a little over a year now and have really come to depend on it. I've enjoyed this knife and it has been a fantastic replacement for my old blade.


But I think that it's getting to be time to replace the Boker Trance. I've got a few things lined up and will revisit this once they've been tested. I think a solid month of EDC for each of the potentials should prove helpful in determining what should be the next big thing.


The thing that really got the juices flowing for new and better knives was the Blade Show in Atlanta, GA.

http://www.blademag.com/bladeshow_attendees


Being able to attend this event was an eye opener. Getting to meet some of the artists and craftsmen that make the blades was a real treat and really got me interested in seeing and knowing more. If you have any interest in knives at all, I highly recommend attending the show in 2011.


Now, I had purchased the Boker Trance a long time before going to the Blade Show. And while I was there only managed to pick up another Boker knife (big thanks to Boker for the freebie). Prior to the show, I received a Boker Karambit for Christmas, and while a very cool knife, not something I picture using for EDC.


See, there are knives that are cool, and there are knives that are practical for day-to-day situations. I've more of the “cool but not practical” than the “practical and cool”. I'm looking to change that so I'll have some diversity in my collection.

Kershaw, Spyderco, and CRKT are all in the works.

I'll keep you posted.

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
A Division of Mellanman Productions

My Photo
Name:
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, United States

Kevin O'Mellan (Whittington Appraisals): Appraiser in Salisbury, Rowan County, North Carolina



    Powered by FeedBlitz

ARCHIVES
October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / January 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / August 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / December 2010 / January 2011 / February 2011 / March 2011 / May 2011 /


Powered by Blogger

Site 
Meter

Disclaimer
Fair Use Notice: This site includes excerpts from and links to copyrighted media which have not been pre-authorized by their respective owners. U.S. copyright law allows for the "Fair Use" of copyrighted materials for the purposes of criticism, parody, and education. As specified in U.S. Code Title 17, Section 107, the material on this site is not distributed for profit.