Random & Incoherent
Thursday, March 24, 2005
  Stop, Halt, Cease & Desist, Slow Down
A good mechanic is difficult to locate.

I decided that it was time to consider having some brake work done on my vehicle. It’s one thing to be able to hear the distinct sound of metal on metal grinding due to having worn out the brake pads. It’s an entirely different situation when you can feel the metal digging into the rotor with just the slightest application of your foot to the brake pedal.

So, due to the fact that convenience plays a big part in my life, and the fact that there is a Pep Boys auto shop within walking distance of my place of business, it only makes sense that they would be my mechanics of choice.

Anyway, I come grinding to a halt in the Pep Boys parking lot at 7:30 in the A.M. and drop my keys with the guy behind the “service” desk so that they can inspect the brakes.
Around 3:00 P.M. I receive a phone call telling me that the rotors, pads, and calipers for the braking system of the two front wheels all need to be replaced, and that (including labor) this would run approximately $1200.00.

Insert numbness and chest pain here.

I knew I was going to be making a withdrawal from the bank to cover this little adventure, but I was unaware that I was going to be asked to bend over.

So, forsaking convenience, I called another auto shop and told them what I was told regarding what would need to be replaced. Good news! This new shop told me that they would be able to do the work for about $600.00, and more than likely, would not need to replace the calipers (which would be the most expensive piece of the brakes to replace).

So now I’m feeling pretty lucky. Hell, I just saved myself $600.00! The only problem now is that I won’t have a vehicle to be able to complete my daily commute to work. Realizing that one of my co-workers happens to live in the same county that I do, I decide to take a stroll up to the ninth floor.

I ask my fellow cube jockey if he can pick me up at the auto shop at 7:30. He says that it won’t be a problem, and then inquires as to why my vehicle needs to go in for repairs. When I go through the whole ordeal with him, including what the 2 shops had told me regarding price, he laughs. Now, laughter may be the best medicine, but it certainly isn’t helping out in this situation.

He starts making phone calls to auto parts stores, and while he is on hold he informs me that he used to work for Ford, specifically in the brake department. What luck, I think. I happen to own a Ford that requires brake service. So once the parts have been confirmed, we arrange to meet at his house. All I have to do now is go to the auto parts store to procure the proper materials, and to the local bottle shop to ensure that payment in the form of beer (cheapest labor cost ever!) is in hand.

I went to AutoZone for the parts necessary to complete the task at hand. I pick up the two rotors, and set of brake pads. My unknown mechanic friend stated that unless the car had been dropped of a cliff or unless I had been beating the calipers with a hammer repeatedly for the last month, I would not need to replace them. After my trip to conduct commerce, I head in the direction of my newfound local “garage”.

Once the car is jacked up and my mechanic can get a look at the problem area, it is stated that we will only need to replace one of the rotors. Savings right there before any work is done at all! So the brake pads are replaced on the rotor that does not need to be replaced. Lower the car and move on to the other side. Car’s lifted up once more and deconstruction of the brake system begins. When it comes time to replace the rotor, we come to the conclusion that my friendly neighborhood AutoZone has supplied me with the incorrect part.

Now, it’s too late in the evening to go back to the store and get this situation rectified. I can’t believe that this is happening! After the process of telling the grease monkey behind the counter at the store the make, model, year, color, 2WD vs. 4WD, specifics of my vehicle, the computer still tells him the wrong part. So off I go, limping with one brake repaired and the other still a shell of it’s former self.

Next day, back to AutoZone. Different grease monkey. Same exchange of information. However, this must have been the king grease monkey, because he realizes that the computer is wrong! He gets me the correct part and tries to send me on my way. But I want to return the 2 rotors that are incorrect. Well, little known fact about writing checks at AutoZone. You have to wait 7 days before you can return merchandise purchased with a check. So off I go with the one rotor that I require, and the 2 that I don’t.

Back to my local “garage”. Car’s jacked up and job is completed in less than half an hour. My “mechanic” tests out the brakes. Everything is peachy keen. Plus, total dollars spent (including beer money) is $135.00. Talk about the potential to have gotten raped by the auto industry!

So I take the 2 rotors that I no longer have use for back to AutoZone, but still can’t return them! It’s been 7 days; I have the printout from the bank showing that the check cleared and that AutoZone got their money. However, as it was explained to me, AutoZone’s policy is 7 BUSINESS days, and considering this escapade occurred over the course of a weekend, 7 business days really equated to 10 days. But I got my 200 dollars back for the unused rotors, and have learned not to go to Pep Boys for my automotive needs.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
A Division of Mellanman Productions

My Photo
Name:
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, United States

Kevin O'Mellan (Whittington Appraisals): Appraiser in Salisbury, Rowan County, North Carolina



    Powered by FeedBlitz

ARCHIVES
October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / January 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / August 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / December 2010 / January 2011 / February 2011 / March 2011 / May 2011 /


Powered by Blogger

Site 
Meter

Disclaimer
Fair Use Notice: This site includes excerpts from and links to copyrighted media which have not been pre-authorized by their respective owners. U.S. copyright law allows for the "Fair Use" of copyrighted materials for the purposes of criticism, parody, and education. As specified in U.S. Code Title 17, Section 107, the material on this site is not distributed for profit.