Random & Incoherent
Wednesday, January 10, 2007
  Uninformed
I'm not a big news fan. Doesn't particularly matter what format it's in, newspaper, television, or internet. Typically it's either bad news, or mundane stories that you mostly don't care about. Or the knowledge base necessary to understand what's being discussed is over my head. Or it's political. I prefer to get my news in an entertaining fashion and have looked to Fark.com for just such a delivery. This is the same source that the majority of morning radio shows use, but without giving proper credit.

I used to say that the reason I didn't watch the news when I was in Atlanta was due to the fact that it was all bad news and violence, nothing uplifting or entertaining. But then again, I guess it's not the up to the news casters and reporters to do that for us.

I didn't read the Atlanta-Journal Constitution for the same reason. That and the fact that the daily paper was about as thick as a phone book.

Why am I telling you this? Cause nobody else wants to hear me babble on about newspapers.

And the fact that one of my Christmas gifts was a subscription to my new local newspaper, The Salisbury Post.

It's always more fun living in a smaller city. Most of the news stories are from bigger metropolitan areas, so are pretty much irrelevant, or they focus on local stories like the guy who found the hospital bill from the day he was born (a grand total of $64.50) and daddy's driver's license in a box in his attic. I ask you, why is this news? Although, I guess it's better than hearing about the inmates that are learning needlepoint and giving away scarves and blankets to the VA hospital.

It's possible, due to my lack of a point of reference, that this is just how newspapers are filled. And every now and again you do come across a jewel.

Page 2B of Monday's paper:
Couple charged with razor, chair assaults

Now if that doesn't knock the wind out of you with attention-catching goodness, you just aren't alive.

I think my favorite part about this story is that they list the couple by name, age, and address. So, if you happen to be in the neighborhood, you can feel free to mock them and throw rotten fruit at their door.

They were each charged with "assualt with a deadly weapon". Now, I was aware that a straight razor could be a deadly weapon, but I've never heard of a chair being referred to as a weapon at all. Sure you see them swung in anger in bar fights in the movies, but I didn't know anyone actually did that.

What happened here? Well, Yolanda was coming at me with the straight razor, so I heaved the La-Z-Boy at her. Knocked her out cold.

I'm beginning to think that The Post just rounds up all the retirees in the area and puts them in front of a typewriter and prints whatever delusions they type out. At least that's the way it looks from the staff photos they include with the stories.

I could go on, but I think if you've read this far, you don't want to be punished by hearing about the potty training procedures of the grandmother and her grandduaghter, or of how the simple things (paying bills and getting your car inspected) in life get to be more difficult as you grow older.

I'll just have to see if any whirlwind stories pop up and keep you posted.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
A Division of Mellanman Productions

My Photo
Name:
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, United States

Kevin O'Mellan (Whittington Appraisals): Appraiser in Salisbury, Rowan County, North Carolina



    Powered by FeedBlitz

ARCHIVES
October 2004 / November 2004 / December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / January 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / August 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / December 2010 / January 2011 / February 2011 / March 2011 / May 2011 /


Powered by Blogger

Site 
Meter

Disclaimer
Fair Use Notice: This site includes excerpts from and links to copyrighted media which have not been pre-authorized by their respective owners. U.S. copyright law allows for the "Fair Use" of copyrighted materials for the purposes of criticism, parody, and education. As specified in U.S. Code Title 17, Section 107, the material on this site is not distributed for profit.